Monday, November 1, 2021

The Wedding Present-Whew!

 Hi Everyone,

Well, I managed to smooth out some of the ridges in the bowl. Here's the photos:

When last we met, the inside walls of the bowl had a lot of ridges and scratching that I didn't think I could remove by using my turning chisels and I didn't want to spend a lot of time trying to hand sand that flat. Scratching like this can be really difficult to totally remove so I was at my wits end:


So I talked it over with my son Critter the Welder, and he suggested an angle grinder with some sanding disks. I went out and purchased one:




I connected it to the air compressor and sanded away. The sanding disc that came with the grinder is very coarse-maybe 80 grit and it started to really chew up the wood, so it took it off and replaced it with a wider disk that is about 120 grit. It smoothed off the ridges and helped with the scratching. It also smoothed a few high spots in the bottom of the bowl so I think with a proper diameter, finer sanding disk I can probably remove the scratching. You can still see some of this in the photo below:



It's freezing cold this afternoon so I took the bowl off the lathe and brought it outside for some photos:




And I took it inside to compare it with my fruit platter of recent memory:



Overall I'm pleased with the project and plan to finish it. The bowl is a nice size and will hold a lot of fruit.

Ok, I'm going to get some smaller, finer disks for the grinder tomorrow and give this another shot.

Stay tuned,
VW


No comments:

Post a Comment