Tuesday, November 2, 2021

The Wedding Present project-Sanded and First Layer of Finish

 Hello All,

Well I got up early today and took the bowl off the lathe and sat down and hand sanded it and I managed to fix most of the problems on the bowl. About mid morning I stopped and went out and ran an errand and when I came back, I put the bowl back on the lathe and did a full 100 to 400 grit sanding. It leveled out the surfaces and eliminated all of the deep scratching and minimized the pitting. I followed up with some hand sanding to a couple of rough spots and smoothed them. Then I cleaned the surface with compressed air and gave it it's first layer of salad bowl finish. Here's the photos:




As it's too cold for this to dry in the shop, I'm going to wait a couple of hours and then bring it inside. It should be dry enough to pick it up by then. 

The first layer will dry and raise the grain a little bit but I'll sand that smooth tomorrow. Then I'll give it several more coats and those will be the finish coats.

I'll post completion photos this weekend.

VW


No comments:

Post a Comment