Sunday, May 30, 2021

The Music Box Project-Finishing the Lid, Installing the Mechanism & Completion Photos

 Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry for being so late in finishing this but something came up that had to be dealt with. Anyway it's done. Here are the photos:

The lid and the finial:
The lid turn worked out fine as hard maple turns like a champ. But I could not get the finial right. I made 5 of them, broke 3 of them, and the last 2 looked like chess pieces which did not look right on the lid. At one point I had a small tree twig on top of the lid, which didn't look bad but I wanted something more in line with the style with the box. So I got out a mahogany dowel and carved one by hand:


And there it is. I don't know why that was so difficult. That needs to be glued in place but otherwise the lid-finial is finished:



The Music Box Mechanism with Tiny Little Hex Head Screws

The install for this began very well. The interior space was more that large enough for the mechanism and the turn key (or so I thought). 

To get the holes drilled correctly I cut out a 2 3/4" diameter circle out of a 3"x5" card, placed the mechanism on top of it and marked out the holes for the screws:



The hole in the photo with a square around it was the hole for the stem of the turn key:


And so I drilled the holes for the screws with a 5/64" screw and a larger hole for the stem at 7/64". 
I had a helluva time getting the screws into the mechanism base and into the wood shelf below but eventually I got everything placed. Then I discovered that the hole for the stem was way too small so I had to unscrew the mechanism, drill a 3/8" hole for the stem, screw it all together again and it worked! What a relief that was.



And so here it is:





And here is a short video of the music box in action:



__________

Ok, this project is finished. I have to install the baseboards in my home and I'll be occupied with that for a while and I'm going to make a chair for my youngest son's upcoming birthday and you've all seen that before too. I'll be taking a short break and then I'll be back probably in July with a bedframe-headboard project.

Have a good spring and early summer.
See you all soon.
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment