Thursday, May 6, 2021

The Music Box project, continued-Turning the outside of the box

 Hi Everyone,

Our weather is warming up so I decided to go out and shape the outside of the music box.

Here's the photos:
Today's turn went very quickly. The wood I used is moderately hard hardwoods but still I was finished with this step in about 30 minutes. Here is the turning block back on the lathe:



And here you see the form taking shape. I decided to flare the bottom of the block to widen it a bit and make the music box more stable. It also helps to emphasize the overall tapered shape:



After I removed all the wood from the outside, I gave the surface a preliminary sanding with 100 grit paper just to see the surface without any blemishes from the roughing chisel and I'm rather pleased with how it came out.




It's fun to create a turning block at random just to see the various woods change shape.

Here it is at present:



After this I put it back on the lathe and sanded it to 400 grit and then I polished the surface with a green nylon scrub pad. It now has a very smooth, satin-like finish and it looks really cool.

I'm going to have some lunch and then go back down to the wood shop and hollow out the bottom.

Stay tuned,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment