Thursday, April 29, 2021

The Music Box Project, continued-Shaping the turning blank

 Hi Everyone,

Well, after a run of cool, rainy weather, the sun is out and it's warm outside. Perfect turning weather.

I glued up the turning block yesterday afternoon and here are the photos:

Here is the block in clamps. I used original Gorilla Glue for this as when it's activated with water, it foams and fills any small gaps or spaces:



Here it is this morning after I took off the clamps-it looks like a big sandwich with mayonnaise squeezing out the sides!



I then took the block and trimmed off the glue and the irregular surfaces:



And I also cut off the corners to make turning the block into a cylinder easier:



Then I placed it between centers and got out my roughing chisel and turned the block into a cylinder and I must say the colors look really cool: 




And this is where it stands now. 

The next step is to establish the dimensions for the music box and I'll think about that the next day or so.

Ahhh, the floor underneath the lathe, slowly being covered with wood chips. Love it!



Stay tuned, 
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment