Thursday, April 22, 2021

Spring Chair Build

 Hello All,

Sorry I've been absent for a while. I've been working on my home and very consumed with that. I have, however, finished the birthday chair present for my husband. It's very comfortable, stable, and it fits his measurements perfectly. Here's the photos and a brief discussion.

We had a lot of very worn out furniture here and over the past year we've given away or discarded almost all of it. We have a very small living room and we needed some chairs for it. I've looked online at numerous plans and designs and the one that impressed me the most and is the most doable with the equipment I have is this one from the Family Handyman website. It's titled Perfect Patio Chairs You Can Build. The plans are very clear and simple to follow and the chair can be build with good quality pine or cedar from a big box store. There are some angled cuts to be made but those can be made if you don't have a mitre saw if you're careful. 

The entire build can be seen on the web page above so I didn't think I needed to illustrate it here. I followed the plans exactly and the chair went together easily with just a few clamps to hold parts steady. I built the chair on my drive way which is very level and you'll need a level surface for this and also someone to help with assembly as needed. 

I've built many things from online plans. My personal favorite is Ana White's furniture plans which are easy to follow and I've always had great results. These plans are right up there. Easy to follow, not difficult, well illustrated, and free! 

Here's some photos that I just took:






The chair can be used with or without a cushion and the plans recommend the appropriate size cushion for this chair. I purchased one from Overstock.com with the recommended dimensions and the cushion fits perfectly. 

The total price for the materials, hardware, and the cushion came to $110.00. 

I recommend these plans if you are thinking of building a chair for your living room or for outside use.

I still have to work on the finish so I'll be posting the completion photos next week.

Stay tuned,
VW


No comments:

Post a Comment