Saturday, March 30, 2019

Hello, I'm Back-Time for a Shop Clear Out

Hello All,

Well, the harsh winter weather is finally leaving us and even though the temps are still chilly, the snow has almost disappeared. In a few short weeks it will be time to get back to work.

I promised my husband I would make shop clearing and organization my first priority this season so that's what I'm in the middle of right at the moment. I've been making trips to the recycle center to get rid of the million little cans of stain I'll never use, dead bottles of glue (I forgot to take them inside this year), and I'm bravely attacking my pile of scrap lumber:



I also have some logs that I'm getting rid of as well. This should make the wood I will be keeping much easier to find and use. Ok, enough said about all that.

What will I be doing this year? I will be turning some seasoned turning blanks and moving them out and I've exhausted my supply of wooden spoons so more of those are on the way as well. I am going to be getting rid of my living room furniture so I'm in the process of thinking about what I would like to build in their place. I'm not going to be building a lot as I would prefer a simpler less cluttered look going forward.

I've been wandering through the Internet and Pinterest looking at photos of artwork and types of craft work that I don't do such as basket making, painting and photography and enjoying the amazing results that other crafts people produce. In particular I've returned to the work of Peter Follansbee, the green woodworker on the east coast. I've always loved his carvings and the boxes he makes and I may look into that more later this spring.

And I'm planning on making some furniture for my deck so I can go outside and read and think in comfort.

In the fall, the cabinetmaking courses begin again. I've had a difficult time what with recovery from some surgery I had and just plain ol' being sick. But I have recovered so I'll be working on those courses full time beginning in late August.

So there it is!  There's always something going on in the wood shop so grab some coffee, put your feet up and let's get to work!

Stay tuned,
VW






No comments:

Post a Comment