Wednesday, March 16, 2016

The Cradle Project, continued-odds and ends

Hi Everyone,

I have a bad cold at the moment so I'm not going to do very work on the cradle today. But I do have a little bit of work to alter the design of the cradle and that is to add some wooden accent pieces to the sides and ends and to also prepare the ends for some handles.

Here's today's photos:

I'm going to add some pine moulding to the sides and ends of the cradle. The "box" part of the cradle looks, well, a little boxy and I'd like to break up that appearance a little and the moulding is a simple and easy way to accomplish that. This is a photo of one of the ends with a strip of pine lath placed across it:

And this is a photo of one of the sides also with a strip of lath along the length of the panel:



This is a photo of the handles. They are made out of wrought iron, they're heavy, and they should last a very long time. These enable the cradle to be easily picked up and moved and they too add some visual interest to the overall appearance:


This is what the handles will look like on the ends of the cradle:


I was going to make the bed portion of the cradle today but I don't have any lumbar wide enough for this so that will have to wait until tomorrow. Today I'm just going to glue the lath to all the panels, let everything dry, and tomorrow carry on. I'd like to assemble the cradle on Friday and I'll do so unless my cold gets worse.

So soon as I'm done it's off to bed and lots of tea and honey.

See you all on Friday,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment