Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Music Box Project, continued:Part 3: Sanding and Applying the finish

Hi Again,

This was a busy day--I've taken the box back down to the wood shop and completely sanded it and then I brought it inside and applied a preliminary coat of varnish to the inside and outside of the box.

Here are a couple of photos:

I'm applying a wipe on polyurethane to the box and the lid, both inside and out. This wood is really, really porous and it soaked up the poly in no time flat. This will take a number of coats of varnish to completely finish it:




I will apply at least 3 more layers of varnish and then stop for a few days and let the finish cure and then I'll wax it and polish it. After that's done, I'll install the mechanism. I'll display the finish photos this weekend.

Tomorrow I"m going to finish the keepsake box so stay tuned for that.

See you soon,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment