Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Music Box, continued

Hi Everyone,

Well, I went down to the wood shop just to look around and look at the basswood block for this project and of course I couldn't resist it and did a little turning. Here are some photos:

I trimmed the end off of the block and noticed a wee bit of spalting on the end grain surface. I guess this won't be a solid color box:


Here it is on the lathe. I'm just getting it ready to turn: 


OK, I COULDN'T RESIST IT!! I decided to do just a wee bit of turning and turned it into this 4 1/2" cylinder. This is a non-spalted side of the block:


And this is the spalted side: 

 And here it is with tenons on each end and I've marked the block for cutting away the lid:

The block I began with was 5x5x12" and I've turned it to just under 4 1/2" and it's still rather large for a music box. I may just narrow it down a bit. I'll cogitate on this over night.

It's great to be back to work again.

More later,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment