Saturday, October 21, 2017

Building a Floor Lamp continued-finish photos

Hello Everyone,
I apologize for not getting this lamp sooner. I had to make an unexpected out of town trip and while I was out of town I injured one of my knees and haven't been able to walk well or do much in the way of woodworking. I have finished the floor lamp with help from my husband and I've also changed it significantly from the original pattern. Here's what I did:

When last we met I had finish making all of the parts for the lamp. While I was traveling I thought a lot about the base of the lamp and I decided to beef up the legs of the lamp with some 1" x 4" pine boards instead of the 2x2 inch pine that the plan calls for.

This is how the base would have looked like had I followed the plans:


Here are the pine boards I cut:


And I beveled the ends a little to make them look less, well, boardy:


Here is the lamp base with the feet attached. Doing this allowed me to use 2 screws to attach the feet to the lamp post instead of one screw. I'm only attaching 3 feet to the lamp post and you'll see why shortly:



The plans also said to purchase a lamp kit and this one I bought (I've never made a lamp before) is the wrong type of kit for this type of lamp:


Instead we purchased a hollow threaded brass rod, an electrical cord, and a light socket and several nuts and washers and used that for the bulb and lamp shade:



This is actually very simple to put together. The brass tubing is about 12 inches long and is attached to the wooden arm through a 3/8" hole I drilled into the end with a nut and a washer:



Next we threaded another washer and nut on the tubing then inserted the lamp shade: 

After that, we threaded the cord to the socket through the tubing and over the top of the arm and down the back of the lamp post. Eventually we stapled the cord down to the arm and post with heavy staples:

The last step involved screwing the socket to the end of the threaded rod and we were finished. We took it inside and plugged it in and it works:

And here is the lamp at present:


And here is the base. We didn't add the forth foot because our grandson, who is a rambunctious toddler came to visit for a while and we wanted to attach the lamp to our stair rails so he couldn't pull the lamp over:

I haven't stained the lamp base because I can barely stand up on my knee at this point but I will get around to it later on.

And that is that. It provides some much needed lightening in our living room and for about $40 in parts you get a serviceable lamp.

I wish I could fix my knee this easily. Ouch....

I'm not sure what my next project will be - probably seeing my doctor is my next project. 

See you all soon,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment