Thursday, August 21, 2014

Display fixtures for showing your work

Hi Everyone,

Well, August has arrived and it's hot and steamy outside. But all in all it's been a good wood working summer and I think I've made up for lost time after the very cold winter we had this year.

I've begun showing my work at farmer's markets and if you've ever been to a farmer's market you know that you need a table and a few other things to set up and display your work. I make a variety of things, some small and some large, and they need some organization to make the whole table display look neat and organized. The answer to all of this is to make yourself some display fixtures.

I took some of the scrap wood in my shop and I made two simple plate racks and two small shelves for the jars that I make. Here are some photos:

Here is a photograph of the fixtures I made. You can see they're very simple:


This is the plate rack. I ripped a piece of 1x4 cedar in half and then drilled a number of holes for the dowel pegs. I glued the rack together with the four narrow dowels you see in the photo but I didn't glue the other pegs. This makes it easy to disassemble and transport. The holes are 2" apart but you could space them closer or farther apart:


Here is one of the shelves I made to display small jars on. This is just left over pine from a previous project and it's glued and nailed together:

This is a shelf for some larger jars that I sell. The construction is the same and it was made out of scrap pine and cedar:

The next two photos are side views. Very simply made:


And this is what the whole thing looks like when it's set up:



These can be painted or stained and varnished. I liked the rustic look that they have and if you have some re-claimed wood I bet that would make a really pretty display.

What's next-
I am going to working on upgrading my online store at Storenvy and find a couple of fall farmer's markets so I can begin holiday sales.

See you all soon,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment