Tuesday, July 23, 2024

The Hickory Serving Platter project continued-hollowing out and sanding

 Hi Everyone,

After several days out of the wood shop, I'm back and I've hollowed out the platter. As this is a wide platter turning the bottom flat was a challenge and I'm still working on the rim but I'm moving forward.

Let's see today's photos:

Here's where I left off. The center is still in place and the platter is very shallow at this point. And if you look closely you can see the screw holes from the faceplate:


The platter is a little deeper and the center is gone but you can see ridges from the turn:


Here's the platter nearly at depth. It took a lot of careful fine turning to eliminate the hills and valleys in the surface. And as it's hickory, it's very hard and a more of a challenge.  There are scratches and rough patches in the wood but it's going to be lovely when it's done:

Here is the platter completely hollowed out. It doesn't look too deep but it's nearly an inch and a quarter deep. It also has a lot of scratches in the wood:


In this photo you can really see the scratching in the wood:


I have to stop now and go and make dinner. Tomorrow I plan to spend the entire day smoothing down and eliminating all the scratching. By the time I'm done it will be ready for a coat of polyurethane.


See you all tomorrow.
VW


No comments:

Post a Comment