Friday, July 19, 2024

Hickory Serving Platter project, continued-removing broken screws

 Hi Everyone,

Well, so far the project is going well. I've finished the underside of the platter and it looks fine.

Let's look at some photos:

Here's the underside of the platter. I sanded it to 400 grit by hand and surprisingly it didn't take long to get looking really nice. Then I polished the bare wood with a worn nylon scrub pad and applied a thin coat of poly to the surface:



Now here is a photo of the top of the platter before I evened up the surface. You can see the grain pattern on the surface:



Now when I removed the faceplate, a problem arose-two of the screws holding the faceplate to the wood broke off. Not the best thing in the world to happen but that can be dealt with. In the photo you can see two red concentric circles. The broken screw shanks are located with in those two line. And I have the screw holes circled in red too. What I did was begin the hollowing out process right up to that outer red circle and then turned away a section about 3/4" deep and then proceeded to dig out the retained screws:



Here's a clearer photo:




Here is a photo of one of the screws. I dug it out with an old, beat up wood chisel: 




Here's the screw shank or what's left of it:



And here is the platter after I removed the screws and turned the whole thing a little bit deeper:


The platter has a lot of wood still to turn away but I think that part of the turn will go well and quickly too. So I'm going to be working on this tomorrow and off and on this weekend.

I'll be back later this weekend with more photos.
VW


No comments:

Post a Comment