Friday, October 15, 2021

Salt Cellars-Part 2-Preparing the Lids for Turning

 Hi Everyone,

Well I made it back down to the wood shop and worked on the lids some more. I've got three lids ready for the final shaping on the lathe and the fourth lid laminated and drying inside. Here's the photos:

The first thing I did was true up the lid blanks and then I turned all of them round and to their final diameter. Two of the lids will have blocks added to the top in contrasting colors. I also drilled holes in the centers so I can glue and screw the blocks and the lid blanks together: 





In this photo you can see those two blocks have the blocks glued on. The screw and glue together will help the block withstand the rigors of turning and not pop off while their spinning. You can also see the redwood blank is rounded off and ready to go:



Later this weekend I'll begin the final turning for all the blocks and they'll be ready for finishing early next week.

Stay tuned,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment